31 Aug 2009

Job rotation in every 2 years

Review the past 8 years, there are 4 times of job rotation.

When I applied the job to Moxa, I asked to be the sales for international business. In the interview with Michael, he told me that he expected I could be the sales for Taiwan market for some time then he will arrange my transferring.

In the first 2 years, I won several big tenders in telecom market. And I was the the global record keeper on selling some special products including terminal severs and remote power control units.

Then Michale didn't forget his commitment. He passed his message to John Lin, the GM of Moxa at that time. And I got a chance to be promoted to be RSM of Europe. That changed my life a lot. With the experience of working with European, I started to open my eyes and have a more open attitude to look at myself. I thought that I should work very hard to help my family rich before. After being a RSM of Europe, I started to slow down my tempo. I started to think about the balance of my life.

With 2 years more working with European market, then Moxa has a reorganization and I was trasferred to be the Business Development Manager of the biggest product line, device server, we called it DN. But that was not a very happy experience because I was used to talk to channels directly and visit customer directly. I am not used to stay behind of branch office and try to find a way to co-operate with people and make things happened. I didn't know what's the co-operation before.

I was stuck there for 2 years and had a chance to go to Asiaworks which is a training center that gave me the power and reborn. Also, I need to thank Andy Cheng, without him, I already left Moxa.

The 2 years in DN, even I am not happy and feel suffered, it helped me to know how the production department work since I had many misunderstanding before.

Then 2 years ago, Moxa had another time of reforming. Bee Lee, one of my best friends, he suggested that I can take the chance to transfer to be a Product Manager.
After considering of his suggestion, I decide to convince my boss to see if I can handle this new challenge. So I went to Sure-En, and thank him to giving me this chance to be a PM.

This is absolutely a new challenge and maybe is the highest one so far. The way of PM thinking is totally different from a sales person. In the past, I thought it should be easy and wondering why our PM and RD always need to take such a long time to satisfy customers' demand. After being a PM, I realize that the resource is so tight and to utilize the resource well is to help this company grow and make profit. Then I understand why the PM always moved so slow.

During this 2 years, I feel helpless and frustrated quite often. No one can help me to go through it all the time. But I must thank that there are many mentors and senior PM in Moxa help to guide me and lead me go through the darkness. I was not alone even I still feel longly sometime. But I still make products one by one. I work very hard, I study hardware knowledge and regulatory standard. I work with hardware engineers and win their friendship. Journey Wei, Mango you, and Casper Yang, are the people always stay by my side to give me direction and solution all the time. Ray Hsu, Leon, Johnny, Bee, Stephen, Stanley, Zico, Vincent Liu, Tommy, Nick, Andy Chang, CP, and many friends that I cannot mention one by one. Without you, I cannot work through the past 2 years. Every time think of you guys, I can feel tears in my eyes.

Recently, I got another chance to go back to be a sales. Product is not big, on the contrary, very tiny. And we are the late comer. I dreamed about this product to be available 4 years ago. Now I have a new chance to sell it. I want it to become success and I believe I can make it. I sell MiiNePort, and the product manager of this product is a charming, handsome and very smart guy which is amazing. Several days ago, I need his help to call a customer. I try to write down some notes for him and when he phoned, I put down some other questions on the note according to his react to customer. I am afraid that the time is so short to write the question completely so I can only give a brief. But believe it or not, he is really a person has talent of understanding people. He even knows my intention of asking that question and gave a perfect question to customer. It's very happy to work with a smart guy. I really mean it!

Comparing with PM work, I suddenly feel it's easier for me to be a sales. :-)

No comments: